When you are planting a garden there are many questions that you might be asking yourself before you begin planning to plant. Some of those questions are probable, where are you going to plant your garden, do you have the proper gardening equipment needed to start it and take care of it, how big do you want your garden to be, when do flowers bloom and what will their heights be?
These are all very important questions, however they don’t mean much if you have not yet decided on exactly which types of flowers you want to plant in it.
There are many different flowers that you can choose from, but don’t let anybody tell you which ones you can and you can’t plant in it, this is something that you should have the main influence on. Gardens are all unique and fascinating to admire and to look at because each one is unique even if it’s just in a small way.
There are a countless amount of different possibilities of different flowers you can choose to plant and grow but if you’re not sure about which types of flowers to plant then we have some ideas below that are nice selections that you may want in your own flower garden.
The following list below is of the five most popular types of different garden flowers chosen by many gardeners from all over the United States and the world.
5 Most Popular Flower Types
- Cosmos – These particular flowers have the capability to grow anywhere from 12 inches tall to around 4 feet tall. Cosmos are perfect flowers for cutting gardens and are very often picked out of their gardens and used in many types of flower arrangements.
- Marigold – Marigolds can be found in a variety of different colors including yellow, orange, red or any combination of all different colors. These type of flower usually bloom in about 45 to 50 days from their sowing and very rarely do they require additional water other than what the rainfall provides them.
- Morning Glory – Morning glories have heart shaped leaves and are available in many different colors including blue, red, pink, white and lavender. These types of flowers have the capability to to grow up to more than ten feet in height.
- Zinnia – Zinnias are old fashioned, traditional flowers which are constantly blooming all season long. If there isn’t a lot of rain in your area then this type of flower will require watering on a consistent basis. When you do water them, try not to get the water on the foliage (leaves) because this can sometimes cause mold to grow on them which can potentially cause the plant to die off.
- Sunflowers – There are no better flowers to plant in your garden than the sunflower. Sunflowers are a very popular flower worldwide. Sunflowers have a yellowish-orange petal with a black or dark brown circle in the middle of them. These flowers can grow often to be as tall as 6 feet or maybe even higher than that, depending on the flower variety itself. They also give off seeds that are a popular food item in salads, cooking or even as a healthy snack food item. The oil from sunflower seeds is often used for different cooking needs.
In order for your garden to grow and flourish successfully you’ll have to do some work to maintain it and to keep it healthy and beautiful.
You’ll probably need watering cans (often a hose will work fine), some pruning shears, good work gloves, a shovel and a spade. These are all types of gardening equipment which will come in very handy and will assist you in maintaining your garden and keeping it in good condition. All of these pieces of equipment and tools are very important to make your garden care easier and they are also relatively inexpensive to buy.
The types of flowers you choose to plant and grow in your garden will have a large impact on the overall outcome of it and how it looks. The list of flowers above was provided as a starting guideline for gardeners who may be a little unsure of which types of flowers may be most appropriate to start out with in your garden.
Whichever flowers you choose for your own garden will ultimately be your personal choice and regardless of the different kinds or colors of your flowers you have chosen, your garden will surely be a wonderful piece of work for you and everyone else to admire.